Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ridiculously expensive medications and sundry crappy stuff

I knew my happy dance couldn't last forever--though, remarkably, my fingers are still really small. Who knew that I have knuckles??? My "skinny" wedding rings actually slid completely off of my finger earlier today. But, I digress.

Ridiculously expensive medications
Well, at least I'm guessing that my newest medication, Remicade, is ridiculously expensive. Of course, my doctor's office and my insurance don't know exactly how expensive this will be, but they're guessing I'll hit the out of pocket cap in 3-4 treatments. Then everything is covered at 100%.

Not that paying up the cap is that bad--I know that I have really good insurance through my husband's employer. But something a little more specific would be nice.

Sundry crappy stuff
To top it off, I was informed today that not only do I have to go spend a couple of hours (most likely 3 hours) in the doctor's office to get the infusion, I also have to see the doctor when I come. With my previous job where I had sick leave, no problem. But now, I'm a contractor, so I have no leave, and I'm paid hourly. So, 3 hours of transfusions plus another hour or so to see the doctor. It takes an hour or so, apparently, because they don't actually make an appointment for you, they just "work you in".

Work you in == Last patient we can slide in before the doctor goes home or goes to lunch

Now, I understand that I can't get my infusion at 3:00 p.m., but I was under the impression originally that it would take about 2 hours. Now they tell me the whole process will take at least 4 hours. Add to that my commute from work to the doctor's office 20 miles away. So, about 5 hours of my time for treatment. At least the really intensive part of treatment will only be 3 treatments over a 8 weeks, but it's still a lot of time and money out of my pocket. Then maintenance every 6-8 weeks after that (again, they're not too specific on which camp I'll fall into--that whole disease varying from person to person thing).

I really have to inform my employer now. That's just too much time for me to be out while they're considering making me a full-time employee. The company is with is pretty flexible with remote access and working from home. So, if I can just figure out a way to get network access from the infusion room, I think I can work out a deal.

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm going to miss my shots.

No comments: