Monday, January 22, 2007

Blog for Choice Day: Why I'm Pro-Choice


Today is Blog for Choice Day, and I join in with many other bloggers to share why I am Pro-Choice.

The government has no right to exert control over a woman's body. The government does not own me or any other woman. It has no right to tell me what I can and cannot do to myself (don't get me started on the "pre-pregnant" fiasco, among other things). Trusting women to do what is best for them and their families should be left to the individual, not the government.

It's all about trust. Women are not to be treated as second-class citizens. We have the right to control ourselves, our bodies. We are adults, grown women, who have a right to make our own decisions. This is not the middle ages, women are not property. Do not treat us as such.

Women make every other choice regarding their health, so why remove this choice? Safe access to medical procedures is preferred to the alternative--back-alley coat hanger abortions will happen because there is a need for this service.

I blog this as a Pro-Choice Christian (yes, we exist). No matter what your personal religious views on the subject, your individual beliefs should not be held up as law for others.

No comments: