Thursday, May 31, 2007

Remicade #4 (updated)

I had my fourth Remicade infusion yesterday. I took my Tylenol in advance, like instructed to prevent a headache. I also had a benadryl IV to keep me from having another allergic reaction (and this time I didn't get all giggly--I didn't even get sleepy). My dosage was increased again to see if the effects will last longer (the last IV lasted for about 2 weeks).

The infusion itself was pretty uneventful, but for the first time, I felt the effects of the Remicade almost immediately. I didn't need my cane to walk to the car. I didn't even need it to get up the steps at my house. I have energy. I don't know what to do with myself. I'm trying to pace myself so as to avoid overdoing it and relapsing.

It's an odd feeling to have little to no pain or stiffness or swelling after having been in constant pain, stiffness and swelling for at least a year. It almost feels like a high.

Update:
This infusion lasted for a full 3 weeks. It's been a steady decline since, but it's encouraging that I felt so great for 3 whole weeks.

I'm very hopeful that my new rheumatologist will work with me to get the right dosage so that I can have the results last longer.

No comments: