Thursday, December 14, 2006

Road trips and arthritis flares

I was on vacation all last week (though, I don't know if driving 2400 miles over the course of a week counts as a vacation). Of course, we drove because we had to take care of a few things, and driving made that much simpler. Unfortunately, I always forget how painful sitting in a car for 12 hours can be.

Typically I don't have terrible pain in my hips, but something about sitting in car seats for hours on end aggravates them. We did stop fairly frequently to let the dogs get out and do their business and for me to move around, but 5 minutes isn't nearly enough time to get rid of stiffness that sets in after 1, 2 or 3 hours in the car. By the time we arrived at our destination on the first day, I could hardly move and every joint in my body was swollen.

It seems that every time I go on a trip, I end up back on the prednisone for my PA. I don't know if it was the sitting all day, the stress or the changes in climate. On top of that, I got a sinus infection and had to skip the methotrexate and Enbrel when I came back. Thankfully, I'm getting over the infection, but I think I'm feeling the effects of skipping the immunosuppressants this week.

Someone really needs to invent a teleportation device! Or somethingto ward off vacation flares.

No comments: